The governments of the US and Iran say the talks are at an advanced stage, with US Secretary of State Marco Rubio leaving open the possibility of immediate announcements.
“I think it’s likely that in the next few hours, people will get some good news,” Rubio said from New Delhi, fuelling speculation of an imminent agreement.
At the same time, a senior Iranian source clarified to Reuters that Tehran has not agreed to give up its stockpile of highly enriched uranium, noting that the issue of its nuclear program is not included in the current deal.
“The nuclear issue will be discussed in the negotiations for a final agreement and is therefore not part of the current agreement. There has been no agreement to transfer Iran’s stockpile of highly enriched uranium out of the country,” the source said.
Close to an agreement to end the war
Despite the outstanding issues surrounding the nuclear program, the two sides appear closer than ever to an agreement that could lead to a de-escalation of the crisis in Middle East.
US President Donald Trump, claimed that negotiations are “largely complete” and that only final signatures remain.
According to US reports, the deal calls for the opening of the Hormuz Strait to restore the passage of commercial ships through the strategic seaway.
At the same time, some of the US sanctions that have put severe pressure on the Iranian economy are expected to be eased.
A CBS News report says the latest U.S. proposal includes releasing frozen Iranian funds abroad and continuing negotiations for another 30 days. The Wall Street Journal reported the same timeline.
However, the crucial issue of the fate of the enriched uranium stockpile remains open and, according to The New York Times, is being moved to a new round of negotiations in the coming weeks or months.
Tehran keeps its distance
Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmail Bagaei confirmed that the two countries are in the process of finalizing a protocol for an agreement, but did not imply that there has been a final understanding on the key issues.
“This does not necessarily mean that we and the US will reach an agreement on the important issues,” he said, clarifying that the nuclear program has not been included “at this stage” in the draft agreement.
However, on the table is the lifting of the US naval blockade on Iranian ports, as well as the reopening of navigation in the Hormuz straits, which were de facto blockaded by the Iranian military after the start of hostilities.
Pakistan also intervened
Pakistan’s Prime Minister Shabaz Sharif, who has a mediating role in the talks, also appeared upbeat.
“We hope to host the next round of talks very soon,” he said, reinforcing the sentiment that the contacts are at a critical juncture.
The first round of talks had been held in Islamabad on April 11 in the presence of US Vice President J.D. Vance and top Iranian officials, including Mohammad Bayr Galibaf and Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi.
.